Friday, May 10, 2013

Book review: The After Girls by Leah Konen

Goodreads.com description: Ella, Astrid, and Sydney were planning the perfect summer after high school graduation. But when Astrid commits suicide in a lonely cabin, the other girls' worlds are shattered. How could their best friend have done this--to herself and to them? They knew everything about Astrid. Shouldn't they have seen this coming? Couldn't they have saved her? As Ella hunts for the truth, and Sydney tries to dull the pain, a chilling message from Astrid leaves them wondering whether their beloved friend is communicating from the after life. The girls embark on a journey to uncover Astrid's dark secrets. The answers to those questions--questions they never dreamed of asking--will change their lives forever.


This book. I read After Girls in the span of two nights. It was a little creepier than the books I usually pick up, so the night that I finished it, despite it being 3:00 in the morning, I had to get up out of bed and watch some lighthearted t.v. to get out of my own head. It was a story of love, friendship, depression, suicide, and secrets. I never quite knew how Konen was going to wrap it up, which is a good thing. I loved the friendships but at the same time, I really wish that I could have gotten to know Astrid a little better. Why did these girls love her so much. I never quite got it but it didn't make me enjoy the book any less. I just let Leah Konen take me on this creepy ride.

I gave it 4/5 stars on Goodreads.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment