Thursday, December 13, 2012

Follow up on last week's library haul: Mini reviews.

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta was MY FAVORITE BOOK THAT I'VE READ ALL YEAR. That's right. I'm saying those words and I'm standing by them. That book made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me stay up until I finished the damn thing, and best of all, it made me smile so big when I finished it. If it hadn't of been almost 6am when I finished it, I think I would have started it all over again. I loved it that much. Believe every positive thing you've heard about this one. It's amazing.

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White was another one that I finished in one day. While it didn't blow me away, I found that I was quite happy with not putting it down. It reminded me so much of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, specifically season one. If you're a fan of BtVS, I'd recommend checking this one out.

The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin was the other book I read this week that wasn't supernatural or paranormal. (I'm also currently listening to The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton on audiobook on my drives to work.) It's set in Idaho at this sort of nature girl's reform school. That's not quite the phrase I'm looking for but it will do as a place filler. I didn't love this one but I didn't hate it.

Which brings me to.... the book I DID hate. Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz. This little book just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. At first I was like, "Okay. This is sort of like Practical Magic meets A Discovery of Witches." and I wasn't loving it but I was managing. Then in the last 50 pages, the book was like, "Nope! Just kidding. We're not WITCHES, silly reader. We're GODDESSES. Duh." Yeah. Freakin' Norse mythology Goddesses. I wanted to throw it across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment